P.E. at Sun Academy Bradwell
Physical education develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, games, gymnastics, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities. Physical education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus we enable them to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives.
Take a look at our sport blog
The aims of P.E. at Sun Academy are:
- to enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination;
- to encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations;
- to develop the way children perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities;
- to increase children’s ability to use what they have learnt to improve the quality and control of their performance;
- to teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise;
- to develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination;
- to develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success.
High quality PE
We have a wide range of sporting activities at Sun Academy Bradwell to enhance and enrich our PE curriculum. Some of these are funded through the use of the Sport’s Premium and others are funded from school funds.
- All pupils have PE lessons in school. These cover the whole range of the subject – movement, fitness, gymnastics, dance, games, athletics, swimming.
- Swimming takes place for all Key Stage 2 pupils.
- All children (from Nursery to Year 6) have the option to take part in a variation of extra-curricular after-school clubs, these include staff led and sport specific coaches e.g. football, gymnastics, circuit training, rounders and multi-skills.
- Pupils in Year 6 have the opportunity to visit Kingswood, Wales for OAA and adventurous activities weekend.
- We have coaches in school to deliver additional PE lessons e.g. taekwondo
- We take part in local competitions e.g. football league, cross-country competitions, Stoke City F.C. gifted and talented scheme. etc.